In an industrial plant or other facility that requires a grounding system, following factors influences requirement for a good grounding system.
- Limiting to definite values the voltage to earth of the entire electrical system. Use of a suitable grounding system can do this by maintaining some point in the circuit at earth potential. Such a grounding system provides these advantaged.
- Limits voltage to which the system-to-ground Insulation is subjected, thereby more definitely fixing the insulation rating.
- Limits system-to-ground or system-to-frame voltage to vales safe for personnel.
- Provides relatively stable system with a minimum of transient overvoltage.
- Permits any system fault to ground to be quickly isolated.